FREE Lifeline Eye Firming Complex (.1 oz) with orders $75+ storewide. Code: LIFELINE see all offers >>
Even though Earth Day is a calendar event that happens once a year, it doesn’t mean you can’t have sustainable practices the remaining 364 days. After all, you should be a good steward every day you are on this planet. Sure, you may already recycle your used plastic, metal and glass items, but you can take your earth-friendly endeavors a step further by purchasing EPP eco-friendly hair care products. Some popular, high-end brands, like Adara and Nuxe Paris, are already on board the EPP wagon.
Short for Environmentally Preferable Purchasing, EEP means you consider more than just the environmental impact of the products you purchase. EPP also has a humanitarian concern, which means the manufacturing of a product also protects the health of those who make and consume eco-friendly hair care products, without sacrificing quality, price or performance. When you’re an EPP advocate, you also abstain (as best you can) from purchasing items whose manufacturing process harms public health or the environment.
One of the simplest ways to tell if your favorite beauty products make the EPP cut is to look at the packaging and labels. Environmental attributes to look for include:
You might notice that the packaging on a product sometimes states, “Made with (insert percentage) postconsumer products.” While this might sound nice, this statement doesn’t truly have an impact if you don’t know what it means. Terms you’ll encounter on eco-friendly hair care bottles or their boxes include “pre-consumer,” “postconsumer” and “total recycled content.”
Pre-consumer content or materials refers to the byproducts used after the manufacturing of a product is complete, before the product hits the shelves. Postconsumer materials are made from sources like the recyclable goods you leave on your curb on garbage day or the paper that is recycled at your office. A product’s total recycled content is the amount of postconsumer and pre-consumer materials used to make an item. For example, if one of your favorite Nuxe Paris items is packaged in a box made from 80 percent postconsumer materials and 15 percent pre-consumer materials, the total recycled content equals 95 percent.
While purchasing eco-friendly hair care products shows the earth a little TLC, you can also go a step further and purchase your fashion-forward must-haves from a globally conscious vendor. Doing so takes the guesswork out of making sure your purchase is truly aligned with your earth-friendly efforts.
It’s time to pack up the browns, grays and blues of winter and update the look of your makeup for spring and summer. Even if the weather outside is still a little chilly, spring blossoms are opening up and showing the world their colors. Now it’s your turn to do the same by updating your beauty arsenal with the help of Jouer Cosmetics and a St. Tropez tan.
Peach, coral, juicy pink, orchid purple, fuchsia, turquoise, banana yellow and cornflower blue: The hottest colors in makeup this season are bright. So you don’t end up matching the latest Easter egg basket trend (or an Easter egg itself), there are two rules of thumb to remember when it comes to summer makeup:
1. Less is more.
2. One or the other: Go for either bright eyes or bright lips – not both.
The levels of saturated fat may not make coconut oil one of the best options for frying up your favorite snack. The oil’s properties, however, do make it one of the most luscious treats your skin will ever feel. To make sure the coconut oil you use is of the highest quality, get your hands on Adara organic oil, which is paraben-free and part of the fair trade market.
Coconut oil, like the kind found in Adara oil, is heat-stable. This stability makes coconut oil a Muhammad Ali-like fighter against free radicals and oxidation, and gives the oil lasting power. Oxidation can cause the cells in your body to age (remember that oxidation equals rust on metals), and its minions are free radicals. The antioxidants in Adara organic oil naturally prevent and fight free radicals. The result is skin that looks younger.
Other benefits of coconut oil include:
Your skin stays hydrated. Cold weather, the hot sun, stress, pollutants and everyday life can leave your skin thirsty and irritated. The high concentration of saturated fat in coconut oil, one of nature’s tropical potions, envelops your skin with healthy moisture, helps even out its tone (like age spots or discoloration from scars) and controls breakouts. Unlike some oily skin lotions, Adara oil quickly absorbs into your skin and doesn’t feel greasy.